Monday, May 12, 2008

Leeches - Online Lab

This lab simulates dissection and simulation of neuron activity in a leech.







1. What is the electrode measuring?

The electrode is measuring the voltage of individual neurons.

2. Why use leeches in neurophysiology experiments?

Leeches have large, easily accessible neurons in their nerve cord.

3. What is the difference between a sensory and a motor neuron?

A sensory neuron takes nerve impulses from a sensory receptor to the CNS. A motor neuron takes nerve impulses away from the CNS to an effector.

4. Do you think a leech experiences pain? What is pain?

I think a leech experiences pain. Pain is a response from the damage of tissues carried through the neurons by neurotransmitters.

5. What were the two most interesting things about doing this lab?

Me trying to overcome my computer illiteracy and I actually thought the background information on the leeches was extremely interesting.

6. Anything you found confusing or didn't like about the lab?

Only my computer and procrastination as usual. You think I would learn, even if I have a good excuse.

No comments: